I can't wait for your Portrait session!
This is YOUR time. YOUR moments. YOUR memories. I just get to capture them. These will be such sweet memories that you'll want to print these out, hang them in your house and share them with all your friends and family members. At your session, we're going to get silly. It's in those moments that you'll be completely comfortable in front of the camera.
When it comes to scheduling, we'll work together to choose the perfect time of year, date, time, and location. I typically hold portrait sessions on weekday evenings to keep weekends open for booked weddings. I highly encourage timing to be around the golden hour (the last 2 hours of sunlight in the day) because I use natural light to highlight the natural beauty of each of my couples. The lighting during golden hour is soft yet bright which goes with my personal photography style. But, it's your day and your memories we're creating; so if you'd like a different time of the day I can work with that!
When choosing colors for your outfits, I recommend selecting softer, lighter tones and more muted shades. Avoiding ultra-bright, bold colors or patterns will help bring all the attention to your faces and let the eye focus on the way you feel about each other. I suggest selecting colors at complement each other instead of focusing on "matching".
Color ideas include soft pink and muted blues, mixed with sophisticated light neutrals like heather gray, creams, leather brown, and white. That softer color palette fits beautifully into almost all natural outdoor environments and especially complements PNW landscapes.
The most important part of selecting your clothing is picking something your feel comfortable and confident in. Dress it up or stay casual? Why not both? Have you thought about rocking a romantic gown or flower crown but just never had an occasion for it? This is your chance to do it up! Remember: There is no such thing as “too dressed up” when it comes to your portrait session.
Don't feel that you NEED to go spend money on a new outfit, a lot of clients love Rent the Runway for their session because it’s such an affordable way to feel like a million bucks. Other clients love having a great excuse to bring a new permanent piece (or two!) into their closet!
Pairing an accessory or two with your outfit can really help bring some extra dimension to your images, and be a nice tie-in when you’re coordinating with a group. Big statement necklaces bring a lot of pop to the photos, while the smaller, delicate ones are not as noticeable on camera.
Belts, bracelets, and earrings bring great visual interest, so choose one or two that don’t compete for attention.
Other accessories could be something meaningful to your relationship, or family, Maybe it's a fur-member of your family or a photo of a loved one you'd like to incorporate.
We can schedule your portrait session during any season. Since all my sessions are outdoors and we all know Washington weather is rarely dependable, plan ahead and dress for the season.
Please keep in mind that the sun sets at different times of the year. Also, know that I believe in "living in the moment" - so if it does start to rain, let's make the best of it! BUT if you'd rather not dance around and play in the rain, let's be sure to schedule your session in late spring or summer, just to be sure.
What to expect from your session
My job is to capture your "real moments" - in order to do that, here are some things to keep in mind:
- Movement - don't stop! Each time we get set and I start taking photos, I want you to keep moving (at like half speed). This could be swaying back and forth, tickling each other, swinging your hands back and forth, or playing with your hair. Just don't stop moving.
- Live in the moment - I may give you feedback or something to alter your positioning but I want you to stay in the moment.
- Example: If you're looking into each other's eyes and I tell one of you to move your hand to the other's face - hold that eye contact!
- Communication - If there's something you're not comfortable with, let me know. These photos are for YOU, not me. I want you to look back on them and think "yeah, that's so us!".
- Remember, kids will be kids! They may be pouting or dancing around but the more they feel comfortable, the better the experience will be for everyone.
- Have fun! I can bring music but if you have something special you want to listen to, let's hear it! If you want to swing around your children or chase them around, do it! I'm just along for the ride - but really, I'll be constantly taking photos.
Portrait Session Checklist
Set date, time and location with Andréa
Review this guide for style tips
Schedule hair and makeup appointments (optional)
Choose your outfits
Pick a fun post-session activity!
Pack a bag with:
Flats or flip-flops (in the summer) or boots or snow shoes
(for the winter) for walking between photo spots
Water bottle (for warmer sessions)
Coat or cover-up (for colder sessions)
Session Location Suggestions
Can we bring a few outfits?
Depending on which package you selected, you'll have the ability to change into another outfit. Just note that there may not be an adequate place to change and we still have limited time together.
Can we travel out of the city for our portrait session?
Yes! I’m happy to travel throughout Washington State and Oregon. I do require a travel fee of $.58 per mile for any location that is over 30 miles from 98524.